This is a really tasty homemade Coleslaw. I had experimented using several recipes adding and taking ingredients away. This is what I came up with. The recipe is at the end of this post.
This looks like a lot of ingredients. Pull everything you need per the recipe and then it doesn’t seem so daunting. I usually put the ingredients to the side or put the cap on when done using them. That way I don’t add them twice.
I started by grating my green cabbage and about a quarter of a red cabbage. I grated some but ended up thinly slicing my cabbages. The grating was too small. I did grate 2 carrots. Sliced a half a red onion and placed in a large bowl.
The spices, mayo and vinegar were mixed together in another bowl. Taste to make sure you may need more of some. I whipped my mixture. It’s just faster to incorporate the ingredients.
The pour the wet ingredients over the cabbage mixture and toss.
Cover and chill in refrigerator. This is ready as soon as it’s cold. Enjoy!
- ½ cup. mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon T mustard
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ head of cabbage, grated or thinly sliced
- ½ diced onion, either yellow or red
- 1 grated carrot (optional)
- ½ purple cabbage grated or thinly sliced
- Whisk together in a small bowl, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt mustard, celery seed, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Add sauce to the grated cabbages and onion in a large bowl.
- Toss together and refrigerate.
- This will seem like a lot but once the salt hits the cabbage it will shrink a lot. We love it so this recipe will only make enough for about 4 sparingly.