I love Rhubarb, in any form. I really only like it with just this fruit. Growing up my mother grew rhubarb. She canned sauce for our ice cream or just straight off the plant dipped in sugar, and pie. She made pie, which was the bomb. As I grew older and moved away, every time I came home I would call her and have her “fix me something with rhubarb”. She would. Well I finally got a rhubarb root and grew my own. Something I was missing was her pie. She had given her cookbook to my sister and had expressed that she missed that cookbook because it had her pie in it. So I got my sister to give me the ISN and went online to Powells Bookstore and found it. I had it sent to her. In the meantime, I had my sister send me the recipe. If you get your hands on some rhubarb, try this recipe. It is our family favorite.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 cups 1-inch slices rhubarb
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 whole eggs, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add first four ingredients to beaten eggs, beating till smooth.
- Prepare pastry for a two crust pie shell using your favorite recipe
- Fill crust and dot with butter.
- Cover with second pie crust and flute the edges.
- Perforate top with a fork to let pit vent when baking. Sprinkle top with sugar and nutmeg.
- Bake 400 for 50 minutes. Cool on rack.